The response to the call to help save Kok’s Cottage has been overwhelming. People are volunteering their time and their special skills. I just took a call now from an old friend who is able to re-do the damaged window and door frames to match the originals. What can you contribute? Spread the word. What can your friends contribute? We will make this happen. Remember our 2 week “volunteer camp” starts on Saturday 22 June 2013. Its gonna be cold, its gonna be hard work, but its all worth while.
We found the cottage in a severe state of disrepair – some of the bricks are mud bricks other on kiln burnt clay bricks with mud and lime mortar.
the rain coming in though the holes in corrugated iron roof has got to the walls and is causing them to “dissolve”.
I fear the whole house could very soon come crashing down.
- Passive heating
- Passive cooling
- Rainwater harvest
- Grey water harvesting
- Water saving
- Promoting biodiversity
- Local building material
- Public transport
- Embodied energy in Building materials
- Climate Change is a big Problem
- Buildings are the biggest culprit in this problem
- Building Industry urgently requires increased levels of innovation, leadership, design and creativity
- The skill set is in fact already available and ready to be mobilised.
- Architects: Can we please snap out of our silly obsession with fashion, Top Billing and playing to the whims of the super-rich and corporate gluttons. There is serious work to be done. We need to save the plan
- Public and Corporate developers: Can you please make peace with the fact that most of the innovation, thinking and leadership you require to “green” you property portfolio will actually come from outside your institutions from private firms of Architects and other designers. (And yes you have to set up a process more sophisticated than the ones designed to buy pencils and toilet paper to get the best out of these firms)